The concept of Smart City, initially linked purely to the use of ICT in some urban management processes, took on a much broader and complex meaning, referring to all those actions that work in a sustainable way, to raise the standards in the quality of urban life, through a strong pro-active involvement of its inhabitants.
It is no longer of actions for the smart city in the six characteristics defined by the Vienna University of Technology and adopted by the European Parliament, but to extend the smart approach to many other fields of action emphasizing , each time , on one or another depending on the specific local context.
- Among the most relevant emerging topics, smart education focuses on the process of digitization and innovation of the school system, using new methodologies and of instruments designed to encourage interactive learning using technology and digital content.
- The smart community is the privileged place in which a community of people and organizations, using ICT technologies, can interact to improve their environment and their life chances.
- Within the concept of smart city, the smart quality of life is, precisely, to emphasize the importance of actions aimed primarily to people and to that end, activated from the specific needs they felt.
- The implementation of smart the paradigm through smart financing actions aimed at identifying all the most appropriate instruments to finance innovative initiatives, especially in the social sphere.
- Environmental issues are a focus in the new field of smart water and waste, which places specific emphasis on the systemic development of actions aimed at saving and recycling water and waste, both in urban and large area.
- Emerging issue of particular importance in the international debate is the smart safety that looks at urban security from various points of view and implements a series of actions to raise the real and perceived from the people safety, thanks to their direct involvement with the risk analysis.
- For large urban and metropolitan areas the smart logistic-last mile is a priority action to improve the freight transport system in urban areas in order to make it more sustainable through the implementation of logistics platforms placed in adjacent areas and a more minute private transport network that can cross the central areas.
- As part of the smart environment, smart building takes on its own meaning to emphasize the importance of improving the energy efficiency of buildings; a priority issue to which both public and private actors in the coming years will have to pay particular attention.
- Finally, thanks to the new declination of smart urban managment, all subjects treated so far are systemically coordinated within in an integrated and complex strategy. It is interested specifically in the planning and management of urban systems.